Sunday, August 15, 2021

Lane Basin

I joined my hiking group and met them at the Reed Lakes Parking lot.  Several felt that they would have been comfortable driving the whole road but they decided to all meet at the same place and walk the extra two miles. We tried several different places to cross Archangel Creek to hike the trail to Fairangel Lakes. I feel sure I would have been able to cross it but decided against it. The creek is very fast and it involved climbing over very large rocks.  I saw how the others struggled to cross and decided that I didn't want to risk trying to do it carrying my dog. I would like to do that trail sometime, but maybe if the creek isn't running so full.  I decided not to do that hike. Pam also decided against it even though she was able to cross the creek.  She had some time constraints anyway so crossed back over and the two of us with our dogs hiked the gorgeous trail to Lane Basin. It's a much longer hike than Fairangel and certainly as beautiful, but with no dangerous creek crossings.  We walked nearly to the spot where the old Lane Hut used to be.  We stopped short simply because other hikers were sitting there.  We had our lunch on a big rock and admired the green valley and surrounding mountains.  This is one of my favorite trails. Pam had not done it before and hopes to return and do further exploring.  It is part of the Bomber Traverse which I hope to do one of thee days if I ever find someone who wants to go with me.  That involves a multiday backpack trip and some serious mountaineering and navigating skills.  But I know I could do it. 

Pam and I let our dogs run free for most of the hike. There were very few other hikers and Baby was happily following right behind me. But on our way down, both dogs decided to chase a ground squirrel off across the tundra.  Pam's dog came right back but Baby took off jumping streams and bouncing over rocks and acting as if she would be happy to continue chasing that squirrel for the rest of her life. We both got tired of screaming "Baby" across the entire Lane Basin so we finally had to chase after her.  She looked so funny, just a little flash of her pink harness as she bounced from rock to rock.  I jumped over a few small creeks and finally caught up to her.  She will not be hiking unleashed again after that little fiasco. 








No comments:

Post a Comment