Monday, August 30, 2021

April Bowl to Hatch Peak

 Another beautiful hike in the mountains of Hatcher Pass.  I hiked with Mark and of course, Baby. It's a fairly steep hike but actually quite easy with a little rock scrambling in places. Baby was having the time of her life because she loves to run back and forth across the trail hoping to catch one of the many ground squirrels that are always running around on the tundra. She kept trying to crawl down into the holes beneath the rock piles trying to catch the ground squirrels. I kept pulling her back and warning her that if he kept it up one of these days she's going to have one of those guys bite her in the nose. Near the top she dove into one of those holes and I quickly pulled her back by her leash and heard the chatter of a squirrel who was obviously residing in that hole. We continued up and waited for a couple of guys to climb down some steep rocks.  One commented on how cute she was, then asked what happened to her eye. I looked and to my shock, her right eye was covered in blood. I was horrified and quickly grabbed my water bottle and flooded her eye and most of her head with water. I was relieved to see it was only a tiny cut on her lower eyelid and the cold water quickly stopped the bleeding.  At first I was going to turn back, but when we realized it wasn't serious we continued to the top.   I washed her eye again at the top and we had a snack and admired to spectacular view. I was happy Mark had decided to do the hike because he has not been hiking much after surgery last year.  He seemed to really enjoy the hike.  When it was time to descend, Baby tried to pull me off my feet all the way down.  My hands were getting sore just from holding onto her leash.  I didn't allow her to crawl into anymore ground squirrel holes. I hope she has learned her lesson and won't go poking her head into other people's business anymore!









No comments:

Post a Comment