Thursday, June 10, 2021

Palmer-Moose Creek Railroad Trail

 I started out just going 2 miles in from the Palmer side of the trail.  4 miles on this trail is the June Course for the Aktive Valley Virtual Trail Races. But once I terrified myself crossing the three steep scary landslides, I hated to go back through them.  I've always wanted to hike the trail all the way to Moose Creek.  But that is 6 miles, and it would be best to have a car at each end. Otherwise it means a 12 mile hike.  I had no water or food or even insect repellent with me.  I was prepared for a quick 4 mile out and back.  But I really wanted to push on.  I called my friend Mark, and asked if he'd want to drive to Moose Creek and start hiking towards Palmer, and probably meet up around mile 5. He liked the idea, and we did meet at mile 5.  I finally got to hike the whole thing.  Other than the three main slide areas and a couple of steep boulder fields, the trail is quite nice.  I did slip on the scree through one of the boulder fields, but only landed on one knee, and didn't slide down into the Matanuska River.  That trail is in great need of repair.  But I love it and was happy to finally get to hike the whole thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment