Monday, January 13, 2014

Waimoku Falls Trail

Today I drove the amazing curvy winding road to Hana. I went on past Hana to the entrance to Haleakala National Park and hiked the 4.5 mile trail to incredible Waimoku Falls.  Immediately I knew this was the place to scatter the little packet of my mother's ashes that I had brought with me. Along the trail I found some orange flowers that had fallen on the ground.  I put the ashes inside of one and placed it in the pool at the bottom of the waterfall.  It would be hard to find a more spectacular place.
 
 
The trail itself was amazing with a deep dark bamboo forest, several stream crossings, and many small waterfalls along the way. I managed to have a very bad fall and twist my right ankle causing excruciating pain.  In the process I landed on my right knee producing a gigantic bump and taking off a good bit of the skin.  This was just what I needed a few days before running a marathon. But it doesn't appear to be serious because I had no problem walking on it after that.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment