Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Haleakala

What a change from the warm temperatures down in Paia where I am staying.  The summit of Mt Haleakala is over 10,000 feet and it was quite chilly up there.  I decided to hike the 4 miles down into the floor of the crater, and then of course I had to hike back up.  Going down was a breeze, but coming back up was a different story.  I started really feeling the altitude for the last 2 miles.  I even got dizzy and started staggering a few times.  Plus it started to rain.  But the rain also brought me a beautiful rainbow.  It was very cold and windy but a fabulous hike.  My ankle injury from the other day didn't cause me any problems, which is a good sign with the marathon coming up in a few more days.
 

Haleakala Crater
I only wish I had more time.  There are miles and miles of amazing trails that go all over the mountain, and even all the way down to the Waimoku Falls area.  But that would be a trip that would take a few days. It would be a fascinating place to explore. But today's 8 mile hike was enough for me because it was getting very late.

No comments:

Post a Comment