Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Eklutna Lakeside Trail

 I've had to keep Bella fairly calm since February 29, last week when she had her teeth cleaned. Her teeth were in extraordinarily bad shape resulting in having to have 13 pulled. Because she has so many stitches, the vet doesn't want her doing extremely strenuous hikes for a couple of weeks. She has been very restless, missing our hikes. So I have taken her on our regular morning and evening doggie walks around the neighborhood, plus started taking her on the one mile walk around Reflections Lake. Today I drove up to Eklutna Lake mainly to see the conditions there. We started out on a short walk but ended up walking 3.5 miles and paying a visit to the little butterfly memorial I had made along the trail for Baby, my chihuahua who was killed there last May. Bella did great and was full of energy. She didn't seem to be in any kind of discomfort so we will likely start gradually getting back to our old routine. I'm still keeping her on soft food. She does still have 7 teeth, 3 canines and 4 tiny front teeth. She doesn't have any trouble eating and she is not suffering from loss of appetite. She keeps begging for her usual treats, but I'm holding off on those since most are very hard. I still give her the soft training treats.

The trail was nice today. I don't think it was too conducive to skiing, mainly because there were sticks and debris scattered all over it from the recent wind storms. I did see one skier out on the lake, so maybe it was good skiing out there. But I didn't bring my skis today. We just walked. It wasn't a very pretty or photogenic day due to the low overcast, but it's always pleasant hiking up there.


No comments:

Post a Comment