Thursday, January 11, 2024

Eklutna Lakeside Trail

 I intended to ski at Rabbit Slough today to check out the conditions. But when I got there a man came to my window and asked if I could wait about 20 minutes because they were shooting a commercial there. I promptly turned around and drove up to Eklutna Lake. I was surprised to see that there wasn't a single car in the parking lot. I had the entire place all to myself. It looked good for skiing but I was not sure so decided to first try walking. It turned out to be perfect for skiing but by the time I had walked a few feet, it just seemed easier to continue walking. Bella seemed to really like the trail. It was so well packed that I'm wondering if they had actually groomed it for skiing. I have never heard of that happening before, but it was perfect conditions for just about anything. I wanted to visit the place of Baby's memorial so we left the upper groomed trail and went through the deeper snow on the lower trail to see if we could still find it. Bella wasn't quite as happy with the deeper snow. Shortly before reaching the memorial, I scooped her up and carried her. I was surprised to see a large bull moose down on the lake shore. I managed to get a couple of photos by zooming in with my iPhone. I was glad he didn't decide to come up the hill and join us. I continued past the memorial to the next exit to the upper trail. Bella was very happy to be back on the hard packed snow. We practically ran the whole way back to the car. The whole distance was only about 3.5 miles. But it was pretty cold and I was glad to get back. I've decided it's time to start using my heavier Canada Goose parka. I enjoyed having the whole lake to myself.


Baby's Butterfly House at her Memorial

Bella on the trail




No comments:

Post a Comment