Monday, September 25, 2023

Tern Lake Paddle

 The drive home from Kenai was a little disappointing at first because it was foggy everywhere. I had to scrape ice from my windows this morning too. I was happy that I was able to accomplish one wonderful task I had planned for the trip home, a paddle on Tern Lake. This is the most lovely lake right at the junction of Sterling and Seward Highways. Everyone stops there to admire it and take pictures. I did paddle there once this summer and hoped to do so today. I was delighted that the fog was gone when I got there. I was the only car at the little parking area, so unfolded my kayak and put in the lake right in front of my car. It was dead calm and the water was like glass. It was just 32 degrees out but actually felt quite warm with the bright sunshine. I paddled to the far end of the lake and wandered in between the grassy spots. I saw a small group of swans but they were too far away for a phone photo. I took some with my camera. If I got a good one, I will update and include it here. Mostly the views were just spectacular as they always are there. It was such a peaceful relaxing hour of wandering around this little paradise. When I got back to my car, there were some other tourists, some of whom were fascinated by my interesting folding canoe. One nice man even grabbed my hand to help me get out onto the shore. Several watched the folding process as I put the boat back to bed in the back of my Subaru. 

The marathon was nice, but I think this little kayak ride was the best part of the weekend.

The Swans, from my camera






No comments:

Post a Comment