Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Palmer Rail Trail

 Today I took a lovely but short little hike along the Palmer Rail Trail with my friend Mark. He wasn't sure how to access the trail so I just went there to show him the trailhead. It was such a nice sunny day that we decided to walk it for a while. There are some large washouts along the trail and I had heard recent rains had made them much worse. So with that in mind we walked to them to have a look. The first one wasn't too bad, but the second one was significantly damaged. It would not have been a problem to cross it today, but in heavy rain, it could be a bit dangerous. I had heard someone fell down it last week. We turned back at that point. The fall colors are starting to show, but it will still be a while before they are at peak color. It was a lovely little 3 mile hike in the sunshine, with nice views of the Matanuska River and the snow on Matanuska Peak.




No comments:

Post a Comment