Saturday, September 9, 2023

Matanuska Peak Trail

I have been wanting to climb Matanuska Peak all summer, but it keeps raining, making it impossible. Our Valley Wanderers group had planned to hike up to the new picnic table that is close to where the summit climb begins. So I had planned to take my camping gear and spend the night then get up the next morning and go to the summit alone. However, that was dependent on the weather forecast. The forecast wasn't too bad this morning but for the last few days I've been seeing the snow level descend the mountain. It's getting pretty deep up there. So taking that into consideration and the fact that it was pouring rain as I left my house, I left the camping gear and that plan home in my closet! It stopped raining by the time we reached the trailhead and our hike to the picnic table was actually quite nice. Clouds were floating around but the peak mostly remained visible. The last 2000 feet of the climb is very rocky and I didn't feel comfortable trying to climb on the rocks in snow. The howling wind reminded me that I had made the right decision. We didn't linger for long at the picnic table because it started to rain, causing us to start our descent sooner than planned. Several of the group decided to take their time and pick blueberries on the way down. But four of us elected to try going down the much less traveled and less maintained, but somewhat shorter, McRoberts Creek Trail. That turned out to be delightful. The main trail had been quite muddy and often had deep puddles that we had to negotiate. This trail was much steeper but there was hardly any mud. The vegetation was very high and we hoped there weren't any bears or moose hiding in it. But it was actually quite nice hiking. I loved how it followed the creek most of the way down, which made for nice views and the pleasant sound of rushing water. It rained lightly most of the way back to the cars, but we all had our raingear and stayed dry enough. I guess I will need to wait until next summer to climb Matanuska Peak because it doesn't look like there is much chance of that snow melting until next July! But it was a beautiful hike with the beginnings of some lovely fall colors. The clouds and fog were enchanting. 

Matanuska Peak






McRoberts Creek


No comments:

Post a Comment