Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Seventeenmile Lake Kayak Trip

 It's kind of cloudy and a little windy, but at least it's not raining. I put my kayak on the roof of my car and drove up to Seventeenmile Lake. It's only about 15 miles away, so I figured if the conditions were bad, I wouldn't have wasted too much time. But it was quite calm when I arrived. The lake has lots of twists and turns and is usually fairly quiet. There are homes and cabins along the shoreline, but many are well hidden behind the trees and brush. So it still has a bit of a wild feel. I was the only boat out there today, so it was very peaceful. It did get a little windy sometimes as I paddled all around the perimeter of the lake. But it was never to the point where I felt the need to turn back. I tracked my route using the AllTrails iPhone app to see how far I actually went. It is just about 3 miles to go all the way around the lake. It was my first solo kayak without my dog, Baby. I was worried that it might be too difficult to be out there alone. But it was so peaceful and beautiful, that even without her, I still was able to feel peaceful and relaxed, and not too depressed. But it would have been so much better with her on my lap like the last 3 summers. I felt as if her spirit was out there with me, just like she seems to follow along on the hiking trails. 

The loons were calling and I saw one pair with a tiny baby between them. I couldn't get the baby in my photos, but did get a few phone photos of the adults. The sound of the loon is one of my favorite nature sounds. 







No comments:

Post a Comment