Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Rabbit Slough Exploration Paddle

 The water level is quite high right now on the Rabbit Slough, Palmer Slough area. In my kayak I was able to reach where Wasilla Creek enters Palmer Slough. But it was too narrow and brushy for my kayak to get through. I continued past the confluence into the wide swampy area searching for another route to Wasilla Creek with no luck. On my way back I paddled up the first branch of Spring Creek, hoping to reach Nelson Rd where it crosses and spits into two branches. But it was too hard to find the right channel because it had become so wide that it was almost more of a large swampy lake filled with water vegetation. There was no longer an obvious channel to follow. I was hoping to connect to the other branch of Spring Creek and float down. Next time I’ll head up that second branch instead and see if I can reach the place where it splits and maybe float down the branch I explored today. It was beautiful and wild out there with many birds and a single Eagle watching me from the top of a dead tree.

I spent a couple of hours and paddled over 3 1/2 miles.






No comments:

Post a Comment