Monday, September 5, 2022

Tern Lake Kayaking

 I wanted to get farther out of town with my kayak so headed towards Kenai. I've always loved beautiful Tern Lake at the junction of the Seward and Sterling Highways, so decided to see if I could find a good launch spot. The regular vehicle turnout didn't seem like the best place, but I discovered the picnic area nearby. I found a short muddy trail there and was able easily to launch my kayak there. I took Baby, the dog with me of course. As usual, she seemed worried, but after a while she seemed to settle down and enjoyed looking around. We paddled through many fingers of the lake and found quite a few birds. There were a number of loons, but one seemed quite disturbed at our presence and shouted her displeasure until we were far away from her. I love the call of the loon. I was happy to be able to catch her on video with my phone. I didn't realize just how big Tern Lake is. A person could spend a few hours exploring this lake with all of its many little inlets. We meandered for 2 hours among the grasses. We saw a few salmon and a few ducks. By the time I decided to turn back, I worried that I may never find my way back to that launch spot. I tried several incorrect routes at first, but did finally see the salmon viewing platform where we had launched. It was a beautiful little kayak trip. It started to rain as soon as I got the boat back on the roof of my car. 





No comments:

Post a Comment