Monday, September 26, 2022

Gold Mint Trail

 I got a late start today so didn't plan for a big hike. I just wanted to get out and walk a little. It was cloudy and cool but had stopped raining. The fall colors are starting to fade along the Gold Mint Trail but there were still some golden leaves here and there. The creek is running very full and there is quite a lot of water and mud on the trail. I was hiking with Baby and she was being kind of obstinate, not wanting to get her feet wet or muddy. I lifted her over a few of the worst spots. I was wearing my winter Gortex boots so wasn't too worried about getting my feet wet. About a mile and a half from the trailhead we encountered some really deep mud. I picked up the dog to help her through. Then put her down in a fairly dry spot. But I had to negotiate another very muddy place, and as I stepped into it, my right foot sank up to my ankle. I lost my balance and landed in the mud, smacking my right knee on a rock. It hurt so badly that it took a couple of minutes before I felt I could keep walking. But I soon realized it was nothing serious. I expect to feel it for a while though. We went a little farther and the conditions of the trail were getting worse and worse. So we turned back. I just trudged straight through that mud this time and didn't fall. Baby was happy to be on the way back and was leaping over all of the wet spots. It was a short and sweet hike, but not as spectacular as some of my recent ones have been. It's always nice just to get out in nature.




No comments:

Post a Comment