Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Gold Cord Lake

 The road up to Independence Mine is now closed so you can no longer drive to the Gold Cord Lake Trailhead. But today was such a spectacular day that I decided it was worth the 2 mile roundtrip up and down the road so I could hike the trail to the lake. There are now several inches of snow along the road and on the trail, so I brought my trekking poles and ice grippers. But even though some of the rocks were a little slippery, I was able to climb up and down without grippers. I was surprised at how happy Baby seemed to be walking on the snow. I was afraid she would not like it and want to be carried. But she couldn't seem to get enough of it. She was racing back and forth to either side of the trail, chasing ground squirrels and marmots, completely oblivious of the snow. There had been some other people on the trail since the snow the other day, so the correct path was easy to find. I'm not so sure I'd have found it without those tracks though. Even on dry ground it does tend to disappear when you get to the rocky part. On the way down we ran into a hiker we had seen yesterday on the Gold Mint Trail. Baby got to bark her head off once again to the same dog from yesterday. It was a great winter hike in September!





No comments:

Post a Comment