Sunday, September 25, 2022

Beautiful Snowbird Mine Climb

 Spectacular little climb up to Snowbird. I've wanted to go up there for years but never could find the trail. Today when I hiked the Reed Lakes Trail I finally found what looked like a trail heading in that direction. There is a fork in the trail with a sign pointing to the right to Reed Lakes. But no indication of where the other smally trail may lead. Since it looked like it went in the correct direction, I gave it a try. It's narrow and steep but obviously a trail. When I started seeing old metal cables, I knew for sure it was the trail to a mine. It was a little steep and rocky but not difficult. It was mostly sunny and the trail was dry, while the Reed Lakes approach trail had a lot of water running across it. Baby, wasn't too crazy about the wetness, but once we started up the Snowbird Trail, she was so happy and ran out ahead happy to lead the way. I wondered if I would see anyone on this lonely little trail. I didn't see anyone until I reached the old mine itself. There, a group of hikers carrying skis where heading down from their camp up by Snowbird Glacier. I didn't have time to go all the way to the glacier, but was happy to reach the snow covered bowl where the mine once stood. It was getting late, dark clouds were rolling in, plus at this point the trail was covered with snow. I knew it was best to call it a day and head back down. I was so happy to finally find my way to Snowbird. Someday when I have more time, I hope to get to the glacier and the Snowbird hut. But today, the fall colors were wonderful. It started to rain the instant I got back to my car!









No comments:

Post a Comment