Saturday, June 25, 2022

Harp Mountain

 Another wonderful hike up a steep mountain with the Valley Wanderers. I'm starting to think all the mountain trails in Alaska were created by dall sheep or mountain goats. They all have one thing in common - straight up! I had never heard of Harp Mountain so this was another real treat for me with the Valley Wanderers.  I love hiking with them because they show me so many new places.  This trail head is at the very end of Hiland Road in Eagle River.  It was only about 4 miles round trip but with nearly 3000 feet of elevation gain, it felt a lot longer.  The trail was really nice and easy to find. Lots of wildflowers everywhere.  I'm not good at flower identification so can't say what they were though. The top was huge boulders and a lovely place to sit and admire the view of the South Fork of Eagle River Valley below.  If we were to continue along the summit ridge you can wander all the way down to that valley.  I can imagine a beautiful traverse and even wandering for many days through that beautiful wild country.  I hated to leave when it was finally time to head down.  Baby ran the whole way down, trying to pull me off my feet the entire way. That dog has endless energy.



No comments:

Post a Comment