Saturday, March 5, 2022

Chena River to Ridge

 I wasn't successful with this difficult 26 mile race.  It was a rough snow-covered trail that was really too deep and loose for simply running.  After 6 miles, I switched to snowshoes. That felt better on the trail surface and also took the weight off my back. We actually had 12 hours to complete the race, and it seemed like I would have time.  But at close to mile 10 a park ranger pulled up behind me on a snowmachine and informed me that I was taking too long to reach the check point at mile 14.  I had not read anywhere that the check point had a specific time limit. He talked me into hopping on back and riding to the check point. I had a choice there of continuing the next 12 miles, slogging in the snowshoes or continuing to the finish on the snowmachine. It seemed pointless to finish on the snowshoes, because I would still not be listed among the finishers. So I chose to just take the speedy wild ride down the mountain on the back of the snowmachine with the ranger.  It was fun although a little scary at times.  I still didn't get back to my room at Chena Hot Springs until about 5:30pm, so it would have been a very long day and well after dark if I had continued walking. I felt kind of dumb and old, having to scratch, but I realize that running in snowshoes just doesn't work well for me.  I should have chosen the option to ski.  But the trail description sounded much steeper than it actually was. I don't ski very well on steep downhills on cross country skis, so was uncomfortable choosing that option. However, after seeing the rest of the course via snowmachine, I do think it would have been fine on skis. I finished my day with a hot meal and a lovely soak in Chena Hot Springs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment