Thursday, July 22, 2021

Lion's Head Trail

 I have been staring at this huge rock outcropping for my entire time living in Alaska. I always say or think how it would be really nice to climb up there.  I was never sure there was even a possible route. But I learned that there is an actual trail but it is only accessed via a locked gate that states clearly, NO TRESPASSING. On day I looked a little closer at that sign and noticed that it includes a phone number to call for permission to access the trail. Today I had a little extra free time, so drove the 62 miles from my house to that gate. I called the number and crawled under the gate.  The first part is just a gravel road to several buildings owned by AT&T. but then a rough unmaintained foot path winds its way along the side of the mountain eventually reaching the top with an elevation gain of about 1000 feet.  I think the trail along with dozens of alternate side trails, was created not by man, but by a combination of moose, dall sheep, and maybe a mountain goat or two. Going down was complicated by my dog pulling and trying to run the whole way back to the car.  I didn't need to worry about startling bears because I was forever calling to her to slow down, since she has to be on the leash, and seemed to be trying her best to pull me off my feet.  

The view at the top is extraordinary, of the Matanuska Glacier and the river below. In all directions it is just amazing. Well worth the effort of scrambling from tree root to rock to tree root, always wondering if I was on the official trail or not.  I've decided there is really no official trail, all trails lead to the same place. I don't think it's possible to get lost as long as one is on something that closely resembles a trail.  I was so happy to finally get to the top of Lion's Head.  Now I can stop wondering what it would be like!



No comments:

Post a Comment