Saturday, August 17, 2019

Run With The Horses Marathon

This marathon was one of the toughest ones I've done yet.  High altitude, 6000 to 7500 feet beginning with the climb up the mountain.  But I did successfully complete the race in spite of hot weather and a 50 mph wind.  I was both sunburned and sand blasted.  Of course I was the last finisher but was also first in my age group.  This race was an important milestone for me because it was my 50th state.  I was sad that I didn't see any of the wild horses that they say inhabit this area.

I had an unfortunate event on my way to this race.  I had driven my VW Rialta RV all the way down from Alaska.  40 miles out of Green River an antelope ran in front of my car and I hit and killed it.  I did substantial damage to the front of my vehicle and had to be towed to Green River.  It really interrupted the rest of my plans.  But I did go on to complete the next 6 marathons of the Mainly Marathons Center of the Nation Series using a rental car.  My camper will stay in Green River until it is finally repaired.



The sad camper!

No comments:

Post a Comment