Sunday, July 8, 2012

Hatcher Pass Marathon

I did it, I made it the whole way, actually more like 26.5 miles because they had to extend it a little because of traffic.  25 miles of uphill with a 4000 foot elevation gain, followed by one and a half miles of steep downhill on rough road, in the pouring rain with mud and small rivers running in the road.  I loved that part and was flying down and managed not to fall on my face.  It started to pour rain at mile 17 so by the time I got to Summit Lake I was probably already hypothermic.  Last year I struggled through it with my arm in a sling and a broken collarbone.  This year I improved my time by about one hour and 15 minutes.  That is not official time but the time my iPhone recorded via Nike +.  It did seem to be right on with the mileage too.  It was fun but totally exhausting, especially miles 23-25 which are the steepest hills.  I ended up walking on most of that part but I noticed everyone else was doing the same.

Friends took some ridiculous photos of me.  I am not very photogenic!

at mile 8

in the rain

Next year I hope to move at least an hour faster.  But this was by far the most difficult marathon I have done, even tougher than Equinox in Fairbanks because it is really almost all uphill.  The coordinators did an amazing job and provided lots of good stuff at the aid stations.



1 comment:

  1. I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one these days.
    My page ; low cost health care

    ReplyDelete