Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Eklutna Lake Ski

 The weather has been terrible for a couple of weeks.  Several storms dropping over one foot of snow each followed by the big ground blizzard with 70 mile an hour winds and multiple power failures. It hasn't been easy to get out hiking or skiing. I've been too busy shoveling snow, cutting up fallen trees and searching for guys with snowplows so I can get in and out of my driveway. Never mind the horrendous road conditions. Today it finally calmed down enough that I decided to drive up to Eklutna Lake and spend some time on my cross country skis. The road is plowed but a bit icy. I did see one car that had run completely off the road. Some people with a big truck were in the process of pulling them out. It has warmed up from the icy winds and below zero temperatures, to a nice 25 degrees. I skied along the Lakeside Trail for a couple of miles on the main trail. The snow machines have packed it quite well. The lower trails were boot packed but not very wide for skiing. I did come back on the lower trail where Baby had been killed, so I could pay my respects once again at the memorial I made last summer. The little butterfly house and the other two butterflies are still there, undisturbed by people passing by on the trail. It's always sad for me to use this trail because I can't forget that terrible day when the two big dogs killed her. I still hike and ski as if she is still with me. It's just not the same without her. But it felt good to finally get some exercise that doesn't involve a snow shovel. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I'm so thankful that I'm healthy enough and that I live in such a beautiful place where I can drive for just a short time and ski in a snow-covered wilderness. The lake is still open but there is quite a bit of snow on the trail and still on the trees. 






No comments:

Post a Comment