Saturday, May 28, 2022

Stonehenge Loop

I had a really nice hike today with the Valley Wanderers.  I had met a couple of them last Saturday on the Near Point climb and asked to be put on their email list. Today we hiked up the Matanuska Peak Trail and connected with the Lazy Mountain Southside Trail to a nice little plateau covered with big rocks and rock cairns that obviously people had been adding to for quite a while. That spot has been nicknamed Stonehenge because of all the rocks.  It has the most magnificent view of Matanuska Peak. There's still too much snow to reasonably continue on to the top of Matanuska Peak, but sitting there sure gave me the desire to come back soon and go to the top. It was a strenuous climb and I'm really tired, even though it was only a 4 mile hike. Baby walked the whole way.  At one point a couple of loose dogs chased her around my legs and between getting tangled in her leash, being on loose dirt and a slope, I toppled over into one of the other ladies in our group who caught me as I slipped to the ground.  A bit embarrassing, but no one was hurt. If only Baby wouldn't find it necessary to carry on heated conversations with every dog she meets, we'd both be a lot safer. It was beautiful and green and a great workout. Plus so warm, over 70 degrees in bright sunshine. I'm looking forward to more hikes with the Wanderers.

No comments:

Post a Comment