Thursday, April 21, 2022

West Butte Trail

I need to get back into climbing shape after dealing with Covid.  So Baby and I hiked up the Butte to get a nice climbing workout.  I had heard the other trail was completely snow and ice free, but just in case, I brought my micro-spikes.  I was so glad I did! I put them on very early in the hike once I hit the ice near the bottom.  I wore them the whole way, although I could have taken them off once I got to the stairs. But it's a pain taking them on and off and I didn't know what was ahead.  There were long stretches that were quite muddy but for the most part, the trail was in pretty good shape.  I noticed that I got short of breath easily, just like I did on Twin Peaks the other day.  Not quite back to my normal climbing shape yet.  But I really didn't have any trouble.  Baby charged right up of course.  It was very windy on the top as usual.  We found a partly sheltered rock and hid there for a little snack.  Then we hiked down.  I spoke with a couple people who had climbed the other trail and they said there was no snow or ice.  I will have to try that one next. But not today.

Beautiful views of Pioneer Peak, Twin Peaks, Matanuska Peak and the Knik Glacier from the top. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment