Saturday, April 23, 2022

Mt Gordon Lyons

 A wonderful hike with the Walkabouts hiking group. Pam and I had our dogs, Baby and Dahla of course.
The whole trip was on snow.  Arctic Valley Ski Area had groomed the first half up to the ridge, which made walking very easy. I did use my micro spikes, but it was soft enough that it would have been possible without them, but still kind of slippery. Once on the top we had gorgeous views in every direction. We could also see where the huge avalanche had come down and closed Hiland Road for a few weeks recently.  It was about 50 degrees down in the valley but a lot cooler on top. It was even snowing lightly when we got to the top.  But since there was no wind it was very pleasant hanging out up there for a while to have a snack and take a break.  Baby was amazing. I was worried that such a long hike all on snow might be too uncomfortable for her and I might be forced to carry her.  But I think she handled it better than I did!  I'm still a little weak from being sick recently so was a little slower than most of the others. But I got to the top around the same time as everyone else.  I'd been hearing about this hike and was really happy to hear the group was planning to do it. Everything is more fun with friends. That's such a great group. 



The Hiland Road Avalanche




No comments:

Post a Comment