Thursday, February 24, 2022

Eklutna Lakeside Trail

 I hiked about 6 miles today up at Eklutna Lake with my friend Pam, and our two dogs, Dahla and Baby. It was very warm, for February, about 45 degrees! But it was also very windy.  The snow was a combination  of slushy snow and glare ice.  The lake is still partially frozen but there are open areas around the edges and major areas of water on top of the ice. Baby was obviously not very interested in walking so after the first mile, I gave up and loaded her into my backpack. We hiked to the first cabin and took a nice little break there. I let Baby out of the pack at the cabin and she happily ran all the way back to the car with no complaints.  I guess she doesn't quite understand the point of hiking out the trail, but she sure knows the way back to the car. Dahla, on the other hand, loves to walk and run and explore.  She tends to chase after people and bikes but Pam is comfortable having her off leash.  Baby does the same thing, except if I let her off the leash, she will immediately run all the way back to the car, also chasing people, bikes, moose or anything else she finds.  So she stayed on her leash. It doesn't seem to bother her being on the leash though.  I know better than to let her off, after the time I chased her all over Lane Basin after making that mistake.







No comments:

Post a Comment