Saturday, November 28, 2020

Prospect Heights, South Rim Trail

 This was a tough trek with the Walkabouts. Amelia let the 6 of us, with two dogs. Baby was a backpack rider the entire time though. There were times when I wished someone could haul me in a backpack! The trail is quite narrow and had not been packed down much.  In most places it wasn't too deep, but we encountered more and more deep drifts as we climbed higher.  It got so bad that at times my entire leg would get buried. It was quite a challenge pulling myself out of the postholes when my other leg would try to bury itself just as deeply.  The added weight of the 8 pound dog on my back wasn't too helpful either.  We all worked up quite a sweat.  The original plan was to take a longer way back down but after all the struggling, we took the faster, more packed route down the Powerline Trail.  This whole hike was new to me.  I have done a few hikes out of Anchorage but this was one I had not done.  I loved the route and can't wait to do it in the summer.  It's really beautiful.  I'm going to try to always go on the Walkabouts hikes when I can.  I missed out on so many due to my pre-retirement work schedule and all the marathon travel I was doing prior to the pandemic.  Now I'm finally getting to adventure here in Alaska.   



No comments:

Post a Comment