Saturday, July 28, 2018

Lazy Mountain Climb

I'm long overdue for climbing Lazy Mountain. I think it's been quite a few years since I've been up there.  I got tired of waiting to find someone willing to climb it with me.  I just grabbed my pack and hiked it alone.  There is a new trail called Lazy Moose that is a couple of miles longer, that starts at the bottom and joins the old trail at the halfway picnic table.  I took the old trail because it is the one I am familiar with. It's just as steep as ever.  I was disappointed that I was very slow and easily out of breath while climbing it.  I think I've really gotten quite out of shape.  Instead of the usual 2 hours to the summit it took 3 1/2.  But at least I wasn't forced to turn back.  Out of curiosity, I chose the new route on the return.  It's a lovely trail with mostly gentle switchbacks.  But it is longer.  I think I''l likely stick with the old route simply because it's a better workout.  I need all the workouts I can get.  I really want to climb Matanuska Peak but I feel a little more nervous doing that solo.  There have been many bear attacks lately, plus it's a pretty long trail with potential for injury while on the rocks near the summit.  I'll likely end up doing it solo soon though.







No comments:

Post a Comment