Sunday, July 22, 2018

Full Moon 50 K

I flew down to Little Rock, Arkansas to attempt to run the Full Moon 50 K on Saturday night.  It was in the 90s at 7 pm when we started.  The heat really didn't bother me too much, but the trail was quite hilly.  As usual, I was quickly in last place.  They had a time limit of midnight at the turnaround.  Unfortunately I was just a couple of minutes too slow.  So they stopped me and I had to settle for only 25 K.  Since I was only a couple of minutes over, they may have let me slide, but I was so tired and moving so slowly at that point that we all knew I would not have made the next time limit of 2 pm at the 25 K turnaround point.  That would have only given me 2 hours to run 8 miles.  If I had felt it was possible I may have asked them to let me continue, but it was probably wise to stop.

I really didn't feel too badly about it, even though of course I was disappointed.  I knew the heat would be a factor, plus I also know I'm getting pretty slow.  I plan to be more conscientious in my training now.  I'm going to run the Central Asian Challenge, with Z Adventures in October.  It's a 5 day series of 5 marathons in 5 countries. 
Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan.
I really do want to be able to finish them all, but if I don't, at least it will be fascinating to visit those countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment