Friday, July 27, 2018

Eklutna Lake

I wanted to get in some hiking today.  I had hoped to climb Lazy Mountain but as soon as I picked up snacks for the climb, it started raining.  I had also just bought new hiking boots.  My old ones had caused a nasty sore on my little toe.  So I checked out the Keen brand in the store here in Palmer.  They have a substantially wider toe base, so I left my old ones in their donation bin and walked out with some new ones.

I walked the Eklutna Lakeside Trail.  My intention was to go to Bold Creek at mile 5.  But at mile 4 some bikers told me they had just encountered a bear.  I walked on for a short distance then decided it just wasn't worth the risk of running into him while I'm hiking alone.  So, I turned back at that point.  It turned out to be a lovely day.  Quite cloudy but still with lots of sunshine peeking through.  I got in another 8 miles and my toe still hurt but probably didn't sustain more damage since my toes have a lot of room in the new boots.


No comments:

Post a Comment