Wednesday, September 10, 2014

8 Miles On The Treadmill

That was kind of a long treadmill run!  Much too nasty outdoors to consider running out there today.  My Nike+ app told me that my workout for today should be 8 miles.  One must ALWAYS obey one’s Nike+ app, right?  It seemed really hot in the exercise room today and I was soaking wet the entire workout.  But I managed to complete it.  I tried something new, and it was really kind of neat.  I used my iPad and read a book the whole time I was running.  I was also listening to music, but I mostly heard the beat of the music more than the words.  I made the text very large on the iPad and was easily able to read while I ran.  It was an interesting form of multi-tasking.  I had to laugh a little though because the book I was reading is by Thich Nhat Hanh and is predominantly about living in the moment and appreciating each task that you are doing, only for that particular task.  When you are washing dishes for example, you concentrate on only that action instead of quickly getting that chore done and planning what you will do next.  I wonder if I was living more for the run or the reading of the book or the listening to the music.  I did avoid looking at the TV that was also on in front of me!
 
I had heard of people reading while running so I wanted to give it a try.  I really enjoyed it!  When I am running outdoors though, even though I always have music, I really enjoy looking around at nature.  But the treadmill is just not the same!  I did get a good workout though.

No comments:

Post a Comment