Sunday, August 12, 2012

Yellowknife Overlander Marathon

I made it!  My first attempt at full marathons on back to back weekends, and I survived. I was a bit disappointed at my slowness.  I still took 6 hours but had expected to do a lot better on this one since it was certainly easier than the Yukon River Trail Marathon last week.  But I felt that maybe I had not fully recovered from that one.  It was a really nice course, a figure 8 pattern through the town. The half marathoners ran the figure 8 loop once and the full marathoners ran it twice. There were only 15 people running the full marathon and of course I came in last.  Most of them were decades younger than me, but there were a couple of older ones too. It was fun and the volunteers were just wonderful. It got pretty warm by the time I was into the 4th loop up the highway and around the lake.  I think we were very fortunate that in the early morning it was quite cool and even raining a little. I was dreading the heat that I experienced the rest of my days there.  But it cooled off for the race. My favorite part was the bike trail along Frame Lake. It is such a lovely little route and we got to run it 4 times! 

My goal was to finish both marathons.  I had no great expectations and I am very happy that I made it through both of them in a reasonable time. I got my picture taken with my cell phone at the finish line. I was as happy as I look in this picture!


Awesome finisher's medal too!


Now I am on my way home driving back to Alaska, hoping to still have enough energy to run the Anchorage Big Wild Life Marathon next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment