Sunday, August 19, 2012

Anchorage Big Wild Life Marathon

Wow that was a tough one.  Of course I was still tired from the last two the last two weekends and the 4000 mile drive to and from Yellowknife.  My left leg was sore around my knee so I wore a knee brace.  It didn't bother me at all while I was running.  But it is quite stiff now. 

I love that course, it is beautiful along the Turnagan Arm, along the bike trails and through the parks in Anchorage, all on paved bike trails.  You don't have to contend with traffic except for the last 5 blocks.  It was perfect weather too.  Cool and raining at the start but no rain after that.  The cloud cover kept it nice and cool with a nice breeze too.  I was worried about whether I would actually make the time limit of 6 and a half hours, just because I was so tired.  But I actually did better than both of the Canadian marathons.  It wasn't a fabulous time, but at least it was well within the range.  5:49:09  and 2nd in my age class.  There were only 3 of us in my age class though. 

Now I meet the qualifications for Marathon Maniacs so I will apply to them today.  There were lots of them there at the race.  Lots of members of the 50 states club too.  I have a long way to go to collect all 50 states, but the idea intrigues me.  I may work on that.

Nice medal:

No comments:

Post a Comment