Saturday, February 17, 2024

Ptarmigan Valley Trail

 This was a hike with the Valley Wanderers. I invited Pam to go with us because she wanted to do something fairly local so she could get home to get ready to go to dinner in Anchorage later. She was tired from our Lazy Mountain hike the day before so decided pretty quickly that the speedy Valley Wanderers were too speedy for her today. I felt like I was keeping up at first, but I almost always end up being left behind, so I was quite happy to go at Pam's pace instead of pushing myself to total exhaustion. I admit, I was a bit tired from Lazy Mountain also. Our two little dogs got along great and seemed to be having a wonderful time. They certainly didn't seem tired from Lazy Mountain yesterday. Although, Bella has been sound asleep ever since we got back home. Our goal was the bridge over the Little Peters Creek. We ran into the returning Valley Wanderers group about 1/4 mile from the bridge, so they really weren't very far ahead of us. It was overcast so not quite the beautiful clear blue sky weather of yesterday, but it was a nice temperature and the snow was perfect for hiking. There were a few snow machines on the trail so I kept Bella on her leash the whole time. She does delight in chasing things like that. She handled them and the few dogs we met, pretty well. But I was glad she was on her leash. On the way up we had beautiful views of Denali (Mt McKinley) beneath the clouds. But on the return trip the clouds had lowered and obscured the beautiful view. It was my first time to hike more than a short distance on this trail. I'm looking forward to trying it again in summer and exploring beyond the bridge. Today's hike was 7 miles round trip with a 1600 foot elevation gain over rolling hills.

Alaska Range in the Distance

Denali

Bella and Dahla at the Bridge


Bella on the Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment