Monday, June 19, 2023

Rendezvous Peak & Mt Gordon Lyon Loop Hike

 It was a beautiful sunny day with only some very high cirrus clouds and some light winds. This was a perfect day to hike the loop and climb both mountains on a single hike. I was really worried that I would be both too tired and too sore to even make it to the first peak or keep up with the rest of the Valley Wanderers hikers after running the Mayor's Marathon just two days before. But I was delighted to find that I was able to climb both peaks and even stay close to the others. It's a beautiful climb along nice dry trails, with just a couple of small snow patches that were easily negotiated. I have climbed Gordon Lyon before but this was my first time to climb Rendezvous. It is also one of the peaks listed for this year's 6 peak challenge through the AKtive Soles Shoe store. The views from the top of both peaks were spectacular, looking out over the Chugach Mountains plus nice views of Eagle River and Anchorage far below. There is a little bit of rock scrambling at the summits of both peaks, but nothing technical or dangerous. Gordon Lyon has two peaks and there is a thin snow-covered ridge between the two. The snow was well packed so we had no trouble trekking across that spot. We had a nice food break on the summit of Gordon Lyon, enjoying the sunshine. Then instead of heading back down to the saddle between the two peaks, we made our way along the ridge towards the military installation, this increased our views out over the inlet. There are huge fascinating rock formations all along that ridge, making it much more interesting than the trail straight down from the saddle. There is a little bridge across Toklat Creek as we joined the main trail very close to the trailhead. The trip was beautiful and I was delighted that I was actually able to make the climbs so soon after a 26 mile run. The company was also wonderful. I really enjoy hiking with the Valley Wanderers. They are so strong and I can tell I have become stronger myself just from hiking with them.





No comments:

Post a Comment