Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Lazy Mountain

Today I went up Lazy Mountain with the Valley Wanderers. This one was difficult for me in my current state of mind. I live at the base of Lazy Mountain so climb it quite often. The last three years, Baby has been with me each time. It was hard for me to think about climbing it without her. She really loved going up there. We didn't do the usual standard route. Instead we hiked up from Smith Road on the McRoberts Creek Trail to the Matanuska Peak Trail and through the area called Stonehenge. Once again, I was really dragging and feeling very weak. Sarah was training for a long backpack trip and was carrying a 30 pound pack. She was walking slower than the others so fortunately, I was able to keep up with her pace. She turned back at Stonehenge, where we had a bite to eat. I felt rejuvenated by then and was able to stay pretty close to the rest of the group as we moved on to the summit. We stopped by the plaque on the rock for Alicia Kincaid, which I had found on a previous hike. We took another short rest there. Then we went to the highest part of the mountain and enjoyed the lovely view. Charlie and Jane decided to descend the way we had climbed. But Jo, Jennifer and I took the original Lazy Mountain Trail down to the Lazy Moose Trail in order to log a few extra miles. We had to walk an extra mile along the Morgan Horse Trail to get back to Smith Road to our cars. The whole trip was about 8 miles. I felt great on the hike and it was a beautiful day in spite of the clouds in the morning. Things are getting green and wild flowers are starting to bloom. It turned out to be a wonderful trip, in spite of my troubled state of mind.






No comments:

Post a Comment