Tuesday, December 20, 2022

A Little Cross Country Skiing

 I've mostly been digging out after all of the big snowstorms from last week. 30 to 40 inches in my yard still. I have been skijoring up and down the roads with Baby pulling and making me go faster. We do most of our walks on skis lately. Today they finally opened up the road to Hatcher Pass after closing it for a week due to avalanche danger. So even though it was 10 degrees below zero in town, I wanted to see if it might be a little warmer up there.  It was as warm as plus 5 in some places due to the usual temperature inversion typical for this time of year. But it was still really cold up by Independence Mine due to some pretty strong wind. So we went down and tried skiing on Archangel Road, a little farther down the hill. It was still cold there but at least there was no wind. It was rather poor skiing conditions because it had not been groomed and the snow is several feet deep. I was able to stay in some ski tracks and snowmachine tracks made by others for a while. But most of them turned off the trail so I followed a snowshoe trail, which was not as rough, but also was pretty deep and not much better than simply breaking trail. Baby gave up very soon after we started because her feet were cold. She rode most of the way in my backpack. We only covered about a mile total, but it was gorgeous out there and nice to be out in nature. 


No comments:

Post a Comment