Saturday, October 10, 2020

Point Hope Climb

Today the Walkabout group was going all the way down to Hope to hike the Point Hope Peak.  I really wasn't planning to go but at the last minute decided to go for the long 2 1/2 hour drive down to Hope. I'm so glad I went. It has been over 20 years since I've even been to Hope. Every time I drive to the Kenai Peninsula, I pas that Hope turnoff and thing, yes, I should go there one day. That's why I decided to go to join the hikers today. The only other hike I have done there was the Resurrection Pass hike at least 20 years ago  I wasn't even aware there were other hiking trails in Hope.

This was a fabulous hike. There were 24 switchbacks before we hit the much straighter ridge walk that leads to the peak. The others had done the original trail which was more or less straight up the mountain. They pointed out many places where the old trail intersects the new trail. I think the new trail is much nicer and certainly much easier. The views of the inlet and the Chugach Mountains were extraordinary all along the way.  It was a real treat. Plus quite a workout! I was proud of my little dog who hiked the whole 9 miles without needing to ride in my backpack through any of it.  She is quite the athlete! 



No comments:

Post a Comment