Monday, February 24, 2020

Palmer Happy Run

It's been snowing heavily all week and not too conducive to getting out there to run.  Most of my exercise this week has been with my snow shovel. Over two feet fell this week.
I was not sure how motivated I was about doing the Happy Run tonight either.  The sidewalks are not all plowed and it's also very cold and windy.  But just knowing there are other people out there also running, I forced myself to get out there and join them.  I really don't actually join them though.  I'm so much slower than the two or three others who actually run the full 5 mile long runs that I always start 20 to 30 minutes early in hopes of getting to the finish before 7pm for the raffle they have at 7.  So far, even starting early, I still haven't made it by 7.  Tonight I was close but it looked like the Palmer Alehouse, which is the finish line, was closed.  There weren't any cars in the parking lot and it was dark inside.  I'm not sure what that was all about.  Maybe if I had left at the normal start time, I would have known.  But I don't really care about the raffle.  I was just happy that I forced myself to get out there and run.  It was tough in places because there is so much snow on the roads and trails.  It seemed a bit dangerous when I was forced to run along the busy highway in the dark, hoping a car doesn't lose control on the ice and take me out!  But I made it back to the finish in one piece.

It was beautiful and clear all day and even after sunset it stayed fairly light most of my run.  I look forward to running during the day instead of worrying about cars. 


No comments:

Post a Comment