Saturday, November 24, 2018

Polar Bear Marathon

Churchill, Manitoba, Canada.  Coldest marathon ever!  -2F and lower with wind that blew nonstop at 40 knots and more. I was bundled up from head to toe with my hat and a borrowed hat pulled down to my upper eyelashes, plus neck gaiter and face mask pulled up to my lower eyelashes. I couldn't wear my glasses because they fogged up immediately. 

There were 18 runners total but only 6 ran the full marathon.  We had to run in groups of two, and each couple had a support vehicle for protection.  My friend Vickie from Arkansas was my partner.  She was a faster runner, and I still feel bad that I made it more difficult for her.  I could only run as fast as I was able.  The strong wind actually blew me right off the road a few times.  Our vehicle was there to give us water and a little food, but it was nearly impossible to eat or drink in the conditions and through all of the protective clothing. I only had three drinks of water and a handful of soft candy that I was carrying.

As usual I came in last. But only about a minute after Vickie, because she was forced to run at my slow pace.  But we made it.  Many times along the way I felt that we should stop.  But knowing it was not impossible, I kept on in spite of the cold.  Final time was 7:39

I have several areas of frostbite on my face right below my eyes. Only an area below my left eye actually blistered. But none of it is serious and won't leave a scar.

Was it worth it YES!  It was tough and a challenge.  I wear my frostbite with pride!


Me in the black coat with no face!


No comments:

Post a Comment