Saturday, May 9, 2015

Fargo Marathon

Marathon number 46 done today.  It was brutally cold.  28 at the start and stayed quite cold plus had a very strong wind.  It probably made me move a little faster, but even hours later I still feel chilled.
It's been kind of a long week of trying to find interesting things to do in the Fargo area.  There really isn't a whole lot to begin with, plus it managed to rain the last 3 days.  But I did take a nice drive halfway across Minnesota and another a couple to a wildlife refuge and a state park the other two rainy days.  Lots of wide open spaces and lovely rivers and lakes around here.

At the marathon today there were lots of Marathon Maniacs and I even got into the group photo for a change.


The last couple of miles I was about ready to fall down because I was so tired. A group of several other Marathon Maniacs caught up with me - fast walking.  That's always embarrassing when walkers catch up and pass you when you think you are still running!  I joined into the walk with them and quickly found I could also walk as fast as they were walking.  Actually, I was really impressed because I was moving much faster and felt a whole lot less tired.  I guess they know what they are talking about when the training people suggest run/walk as a good way to complete a marathon.  It was fun having people to race with and talk to instead of always being the loner. 

It's nice to know I can survive running marathons on back to back weekends still.  But boy do I need to speed up and trim down.  I'm ridiculously out of shape and plan to focus when I get back home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment