Friday, April 26, 2024

Eklutna Lake Trail

 Bella and I hiked Eklutna Lakeside Trail today with Pam and her dog, Dahla. The trail is getting very muddy in some spots and still has a substantial amount of snow in other places. It was challenging at times, not because it's a difficult trail, but because it was sometimes hard to avoid slipping or getting wet feet. Both of our dogs were covered in mud by the time we returned to my car. The inside of my car is now also covered in muddy doggie tracks. The lake is still mostly frozen, but there were definite areas of open water near the shore. We took the lower trail to pay a visit to the little butterfly memorial I made for my dog, Baby who was killed there. The little butterfly house and the other tiny butterflies are still there where I put them. We paid our respects as we passed by. We had both hoped to go farther, but around the 3 mile marker, the snow got so deep that we really needed snowshoes to continue. We didn't have them, so turned back at that point. It was still a nice 6 mile round trip and our muddy dogs certainly enjoyed themselves. I kept Bella on her leash, but Dahla gave us a couple of scares when she disappeared and sent us frantically calling her name until she decided to drop whatever had caught her interest and came back to Pam. We mostly had the trail to ourselves. The warmer temperatures and muddy/snowy trail conditions have been causing most people to seek other forms of activity.

I only took one picture because it wasn't a very photogenic day.

No comments:

Post a Comment