Saturday, May 13, 2023

Twin Peaks Trail

 I met the Walkabouts hiking group up at the Eklutna Lake parking lot and we took off for the Twin Peaks Trail. It was a beautiful sunny day. I noticed that the lake was still frozen but the ice is looking very thin. I don't think it would be safe to step out there right now. The trail was quite dry most of the way up to the first bench. There was one fairly short area that is shaded and still had some snow. But it was possible to avoid it by walking along the side of the trail. There were also a few muddy sections, but overall the trail was in good condition. A couple of our group decided to stop at the first bench, but about half of us continued on towards the second bench. I noticed that the trail straight up from the bench towards Pepper Peak and the high ridge looked dry and snow-free. I really wanted to go up that way because I love the view from the upper ridge. But no one in the group seemed interested in trying that very steep route. So we continued on the main trail. The first half of that route was nice and dry, but then it gradually became snow-covered again. The farther we went, the deeper it got, until folks decided it really wasn't worth the discomfort. They all turned back. I continued on to the second bench. After they turned back, the trail gets much steeper but the snow stayed about the same depth. It really wasn't difficult walking. I hoped to climb up to the ridge, but at the bench I could see the snow was deeper and less packed above me. Some descending hikers told me they had tried to go higher but turned back because they were post holing. So I was satisfied with the second bench as a final destination. Two young men wearing shorts did start up the deep snow towards the ridge, but they didn't seem to be making much progress and were sinking up to their knees. Baby and I turned around and hiked down. Next time I go up there, I'm heading up from the first bench, hopefully to Pepper Peak. 



The second bench


The two guys heading up through the deep snow in shorts

No comments:

Post a Comment