Thursday, May 4, 2023

Bodenburg Butte Traverse

It was kind of a slow hiking day today. Earlier plans never happened. So first I took a quick walk around Reflections Lake to see what the conditions are. Muddy, very muddy, but no snow. The lake is mostly frozen but I did see some open water. After that I decided to do the short hike up the West Butte Trail. It still has a few snowy slushy spots and lots of mud. The ice is finally off the stairs though. Grippers were never needed. Once on top, I decided to try to find the trail that leads down to the original Bodenburg Butte Trail. I haven't hiked it in many years, but used to do it all the time. I had a little trouble finding the actual trail because there seem to be so many possible options. At times I had to pick up Baby and carry her down while I did a little rock scrambling myself. About halfway down we found the wider obvious trail. I was happy when I turned around to follow the trail back to the top because on the way up, the main trail was obvious. This trail seems to be a lot steeper and a bit shorter than the West Butte Trail. We got back to the summit quite quickly. The wind was really howling on top so we didn't linger very long. Baby and I half walked and half ran all the way back down the West Butte Trail to our car. I enjoyed seeing the old trail once again. There was no ice, snow or mud on that trail. There are fewer trees on that side so it gets a lot more sun. It was a fun little 4.43 mile hike.






No comments:

Post a Comment