Saturday, November 26, 2022

Eklutna Lakeside Trail Ski

 Cross country skiing today up at Eklutna Lake with my friend Diane. It was very cold, only 8 degrees at home and in Palmer. I wore four layers of coats. Baby wore her warmest coat, but she was still cold. She ended up riding in my backpack where she could stay warm and cozy. Diane's huge black German Shepherd, Tobi was totally indifferent to the cold and kept Diane far ahead of me most of the way. The snow was wonderful powder, but not quite as deep as I would have liked. The rocks often had very light coverage and we had to be careful not to catch a ski and topple over as we skied over them. Happily, I remained standing. On Thursday I woke up to 8 inches of snow, and it looks like this area got about the same amount. At those temperatures, it was very light powder. The lake is still open and reflected the beautiful golden sunrise that continued through to nearly sunset during this short Alaskan winter day. The trees were heavily coated with snow, making the whole scene look like a Christmas card in every direction.




No comments:

Post a Comment