Sunday, March 1, 2020

Palmer Rail Trail Hike

The best way to describe this hike today would simply be interesting.  After scouting it out earlier this week, I determined it was not very good for skiing.  I felt it might also be questionable for snowshoes.  My Walkabouts hiking group planned to ski, hike or snowshoe it today so I had been checking the conditions.  We all met at the trail head at 11:30.  A couple decided to use snowshoes, but since most were just planning to walk, I left my snowshoes in the car.  That turned out to be the best option.  There were parts that might be good skiing, but the first part is quite wind drifted.  snowshoes were OK but not really needed.  There were several places where there have been large landslides.  These places were quite steep and the wind had blown enough snow away that it was just icy exposed rock.  This was pretty treacherous, so the snowshoes had to come off.  When we reached the worst slide area we all decided it was too dangerous to continue, so we turned back.  It was snowing the whole way but a nice temperature with no wind.  It was somewhat difficult walking because the path was basically packed by other walkers over the last few days.  I had to watch where I put my feet so I didn't stumble or fall into a deep hole.  It was a nice little 3 mile hike with good company though.


No comments:

Post a Comment