Saturday, October 26, 2019

Matanuska River Trail

I spotted this large new sign for the first time yesterday.  I knew it must at least reach the river, but I didn't know how far it went.  I was curious as to whether it eventually would connect with the old Railbed Trail that starts on the north side of Palmer at the corner of Valley Way and Eagle Street.  So I explored it with friend Mark.  It seemed to end at the Matanuska River Park Campground.  But there was an unimproved continuation that followed close to the high riverbank.  So we followed it for a couple of miles.  It does really almost end at the start of the Palmer Railbed Trail.  But instead of actually connecting to it, it ends at Gulkana Street, one block from the Railbed Trailhead.  Since it was starting to rain we walked back mostly along Gulkana Street then cut back through the Matanuska River Park and rejoined the trail.  I'm so happy I discovered this lovely trail. 




No comments:

Post a Comment