Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Lazy Mountain

I decided that I needed a good tough climb workout today. Nothing around here is tougher than the nearly straight up climb of Lazy Mountain.  So I took it on.  There is a new trail that starts near the bottom and connects with the original trail at the halfway point  But that trail is longer and considerably more gradual. So I chose the old standby trail that basically goes straight up the fall line to 3700 feet.  I felt pretty good but was starting to drag as I pulled myself up by hanging onto tree branches as I neared the halfway point.  I took a good break there and visited with some other hikers who had taken the longer but more gentle route.  I walked with a man from Texas who was about my age and who was moving around my speed all the way to the top from that halfway spot.  We had a great conversation. It was a beautiful day with just the right temperature for hiking.  It was beautiful on top.

I wondered how bad the trip down would be since it is so steep.  But it wasn't too bad because fortunately the trail was dry.  I did have to hang onto tree branches quite a few times to keep from falling and sliding down steep sections totally out of control.  But in many places I was able to run.

So it was a great hike and a great workout.


Me at the top


No comments:

Post a Comment