Sunday, April 22, 2012

Rock 'n' Roll Madrid Marathon

Fabulous marathon!  I started out at a pretty good pace but was really starting to wear down by about mile 20.  It was pretty hilly and starting to get a little warm.  But I really can't complain too much about the temperature because it was pretty close to ideal.  Unfortunately this marathon has a 6 hour time limit and I was really pushing that limit.  If we get too far behind we get picked up by the sag wagon and don't get to finish. 

I was really dragging when my team coaches happened along.  Dave and Kevin ran along with me encouraging me the whole last few miles.  It was interesting that even though I thought I was running absolutely as fast as possible, they showed me that I really could run even faster.  The van was right behind me that last mile and I was literally gasping for breath, but I made it.  I was one of the very last people to cross that finish line.  I thought I would faint when I finally got there.  But I did get there and I did finish.  My time was 6 hours and 47 seconds.  I was first and also last in my age group too! I staggered to the Team In Training tent and checked in.  I had to rest for a while before heading to the metro station with a few of the others. 

I'm so glad the coaches were there because I doubt that I would have made it without their encouragement.  It really showed me something though.  It showed me that I can run faster if I really want to. I plan to train really hard in June for my next runs.  I need to pick up the pace and get back into shape. 

Here I am after the marathon, with my little Hello Kitty riding on my belt.  I think she looks tired too!


What mattered the most was the cause.  Our 266 Team In Training members brought in a huge amount of money to help find a cure for blood cancers.  So, it really doesn't matter how fast we run, only that we do it. Curing cancer is the real finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment