Thursday, December 14, 2023

Koko Head Hike

 I'm leaving Hawaii tonight and heading home to Alaska. I took one last drive to the Byodo-In Temple to offer a prayer for a safe flight.

From there I drove to the Koko Head Trailhead and climbed up the long old cable car rail tracks to the Koko Head summit. It's a very strange little 2 mile round trip hike. It's more like a long staircase than an actual hiking trail. You step from plank to plank along the old railbed. Closer to the top it almost feels more like a ladder than a stairway. But what spectacular views you get from the top. I had wrapped my fleece sweater around my waist just in case I got cold.  It was kind of cool and rainy when I started up, but very soon it was clear and hot again. On the top I was glad I brought that sweater because the wind was extreme up there. I only stayed long enough to snap some photos of the amazing view, then carefully descended once again down the long stairway. Such and interesting climb. I'm so glad I decided to end my trip this way. Now, off to the airport.







No comments:

Post a Comment